Dr. Moreno is the Director for Experimental Research at the Mechanical Characterization of Tissues and Materials Lab. He actively develops new experimental methods and protocols, including methods to utilize new analytical models.
Dr. Moreno is Director of the Biomechanical Environments Laboratories here at Texas A&M and the Orthopedic Biomechanics Research Laboratory at Houston Methodist Hospital. Dr. Moreno is active in several professional organizations and currently serves as Vice Chair of the ASME Bioengineering Division Design, Dynamics, and Rehabilitation Committee. Dr. Moreno also serves as the Biomedical Engineering Instructor for the Engineering World Health Summer Institute in Rwanda, Africa. His research interests include:
Multi-scale Experimental and Computational Biomechanics
- Biomechanical Factors in Medical Device Design
- Mechanical Characterization of Tissues and Tissue Engineered Constructs
- Orthopedic Biomechanics
- Sports Biomechanics
- Biomechanics of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Cardiovascular Fluid and Solid Biomechanics
- Lymphatic Fluid and Solid Biomechanics
- Veterinary Biomechanics
- Comparative Biomechanics
- Bio-Inspired Engineering Design
- Medical Device Innovation in Developing Countries
Awards & Honors
- Dean of Engineering Excellence Award 2016
- TEES Young Faculty Fellow Award 2016
- ASME Bioengineering Division Skalak Award for Best Paper, 2012
- ASEE / NSF Post-Doctoral Fellowship, 2010
- SLATE Award for Teaching Excellence, 2009
- Gramm Doctoral Fellowship “for excellence in scholarly research and teaching”, 2009
- Sloan Doctoral Fellowship
- Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2009
- M.S., Biomedical Engineering, Florida International University, 2003
- M.S. Science Education, Florida International University, 1997
- B.S., Physics, Florida International University, 1996
Freed, A. D., Erel, V., and Moreno, M. R. Conjugate Stress/Strain Base Pairs for the Analysis of Planar Biologic Tissues, Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures, 2016.
Kishan, A.P., Robbins, A.B., Mohiuddin, S.F., Moreno, M.R., Cosgriff-Hernandez, E.M. Fabrication of macromolecular gradients in aligned fiber scaffolds using a combination of in-line blending and air-gap electrospinning, Acta Biomaterialia, 2016.
Minardi, S., Tarabelli, F., Wang, X., Cabrera, F.J., Van Eps, J.L., Robbins, A.B., Sandri, M., Moreno, M.R., Weiner, B.K., Tasciotti, E. Biomimetic Collagen/Elastin Meshes for Ventral Hernia Repair in a Rat Model, Acta Biomaterialia, 2016.
Caleb A. Davis, CA, Zambrano, S, Anumolu, P, Allen, A, Moreno, MR. Device-based In Vitro Techniques for Mechanical Stimulation of Vascular Cells: A Review. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, Volume 137, Issue 4, 2015.
Hayman D, Bergerson CM, Miller S, Moreno MR, Moore JE. The Effect of Static and Dynamic Loading on Degradation of PLLA Fibers. Journal of Biomechanics. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 136(8), 2014.
Bonin, GA, Baker, ST, Davis, CA, Hildebrandt, AA, Hulse, DA, Kerwin, SC, Moreno, MR, Saunders, WB In vitro biomechanical comparison of 3.5 mm LC-DCP/intramedullary rod and 5 mm Clamp-Rod Internal Fixator (CRIF)/intramedullary rod fixation in a canine femoral gap model. Journal of Veterinary Surgery, 43(7):860-8 , 2014.
Moreno MR, Biswas S, Harrison LD, Pernelle, G, Miller MW, Fossum TW, Nelson DA, Criscione JC. Assessment of Minimally Invasive Device that Provides Simultaneous Adjustable Cardiac Support and Active Synchronous Assist in an Acute Heart Failure Model ASME Journal of Medical Devices, 2011.
Moreno MR, Biswas S, Harrison LD, Miller MW, Fossum TW, Nelson DA, Criscione JC. Development of a Non-Blood Contacting Cardiac Assist and Support Device: An In Vivo Proof of Concept Study ASME Journal of Medical Devices, 2011.
Moore, JE Jr., Anderson SE, Moreno MR. The Mechanical Environment of Peripheral Arteries: Advancing Device Design with Improved Mechanical Testing and Computational Modeling. Endovascular Today. Vol. 10(10), 2011
Richardson WJ, Metz RP, Moreno MR, Wilson E, and Moore JE Jr. A Device to Study the Effects of Stretch Gradients on Cell Behavior. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. Vol.133(10), 2011.